Check out http://www.fox.com/masterchef/clip.php?bctag=extras&bcsubtag=tracy+kontos Summer Grilling Clip
Grilled Summer Shrimp and Scallops with Zucchini, Tomatoes, and Basil Oil
– 1lb large shrimp (peel and devein)
– 1lb large sea scallops
– 1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes
– 2 oranges
– 1 qt of basil
– 3 medium zucchinis (slice thinly lengthwise using a mandolin or sharp knife)
– 4 jalapenos (seeded and chopped roughly)
– 1/2 cup olive oil and a bit more for drizzling
– 3/4 cup grape seed oil (feel free to use olive oil)
– Salt & Pepper
Serves approx 4-6
1. In a zip-lock bag, add the shrimp, scallops, jalapenos, half of the basil (chopped roughly), 1.5 tsp sea salt, 1.5 tsp freshly ground pepper, zest from 1 orange, and 1/2 cup olive oil. Let sit in fridge for 30 minutes or longer. After marinating, skewer the shrimp and scallops with two skewers so they are not flipping around everywhere.
2. For the tomatoes and the zucchini, toss with a drizzle of olive oil, zest from the other orange, juice from half an orange, and season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temp for 30 minutes. After marinating, skewer the tomatoes.
3. (For Basil oil, take the other half of the basil and blanch it by plunging it into boiling h20, then immediately removing it and putting into an ice h20 bath. Remove the basil, let stand on a paper towel for just a minute so. Then blend process in blender (or food processor) with 3/4 cup grapeseed oil, and season with salt to taste. Strain through fine mesh seive and voila… Basil oil is ready!)
4. On a hot grill add the shrimp and scallops. A minute or so later, add the tomatoes and zucchini. Grill shrimp and scallops approx 2-3 minutes until shrimp is pink and scallop is opaque (no longer pink-ish/translucent in color). Once the tomatoes and zucchini are nicely grilled, remove everything and assemble. Add some orange slices, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and a drizzle of basil oil…then serve!